[ltp] Fresh Lenny install and suspend to ram problems

Marco Vittorini Orgeas linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Feb 2009 23:24:15 +0100

I solved the problem: actually a lot of things became clearer after have read http://wiki.debian.org/Suspend, which explain a bit what the system does whenever one push the sleep button.
The first half of the problem is solved by adding a file called /etc/pm/config.d/01config with the following line as suggested by "man pm-suspend":
SUSPEND_MODULES="ehci_hcd"

The second half of the problem required a bit more testing.In my case I had to add to the same over-mentioned file the following line:
ADD_PARAMETERS="--quirk-vbe-post --quirk-vbemode-restore"

This is required for the problem of the monitor that after resume remains black.(this quirks seem to be indeed required for the X11 nv driver with nvidia quadro nv140m)
At this point the system doesn't yet perform a completely resume from suspend and my system needs another change.
The system was like stuck and half-moon wasn't blink at all during the resume.
I had to edit this file /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-lenovo.fdi and to the corresponding section that matches my model number (6460) I had to change this line
<merge key="power_management.quirk.s3_bios" type="bool">true</merge>
<merge key="power_management.quirk.s3_bios" type="bool">false</merge>

This is probably due to a bios problem, or better: this quirk probably is needed for old thinkpad bios version.I have the latest updated bios version as of 10-02-09, so this bios seems to not require anymore this quirk.
Probably this should be filed to someone who can better manage this mismatch...

At the moment the only thing I can't manage is how to check out that I am really using the X11 nv driver: lsmod reports nothing but a nvram , which I guess isn't related to what I am looking for.

Anyway thank you for your suggests