[ltp] Re: How do you like your W500 or W700?

Bill Wohler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Feb 2009 23:06:20 -0800

?

> If you want the best support, use intel graphics. It works pretty fine
> and is even powerful enough for ~some~ 3D stuff. If you badly need 3D
> stuff, then: radeon/radeonhd > nvidia > fglrx

I'm using radeon now, and the 3D graphics is definitely not
accelerated. I've never been able to get fglrx working on my box.
Karsten König <remur@gmx.net> writes:
> Current intel driver seems to have regressions, but still the point
> remains valid, an Intelcard is the best you can do for linux right
> now and in the near future.

Thanks for that info.

> Might I ask why the W500 and not the T500?

I can't remember why I preferred the W500 before, but keeping an open
eye to the Intel graphics card, assuming it can handle Google Earth
(yes?), it's worth taking another look at the T500. Looking...

Can Linux take advantage of the "Intel Turbo Memory hard drive cache"
or the "Smart Card Reader"?

To allow for growth, how are the drivers for Intel WiMAX/WiFi Link
5350? Or should I just get the Intel WiFi Link 5300?

One last decision: I'm torn between the reportedly brighter colors and
better battery life of the LED backlight, and the higher resolution of
the standard display. Any opinions on whether the LED backlight trumps
higher resolution?

Thanks for the feedback all.