[ltp] Re: How do you like your W500 or W700?

Fri, 13 Feb 2009 07:59:25 +0100

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 08:53:30PM +0100, axp wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 04:35:44PM +0100, Tino Keitel wrote:
> >> AFAIK the textured video XV port is disabled in the intel graphics
> >> driver in Ubuntu 8.10, to workaround broken video with Compiz.
> >>    =20
> >
> > It's not disabled (xvinfo shows both on my GM965), but I think Ubuntu
> > ships a patch that changes the default preference to the overlay.
> >
> >  =20
> >> The
> >> X200s has a very new graphics chipset, which only has a textured video
> >> XV port (no video overlay anymore), so you end up with no XV port at
> >> all.
> >>    =20
> >
> > Running xvinfo would answer that.
> >  =20
> Ubuntu 8.10  on a x301 but i guess the graphics are the same?!

Well, no.  The GM965 chipset comes with Intel GMA X3100.
The X301 has a GM45 Express chipset with Intel GMA X4500HD.

IIRC for a while people claimed that GM965 doesn't have video overlay
hardware, then someone posted a patch enabling it and said it turned out
to actually (a) exist and (b) work just fine.  Still, I wouldn't be
surprised if the overlay hardware is missing in any newer Intel graphics
chipsets.

> X-Video Extension version 2.2
> screen #0
>   Adaptor #0: "Intel(R) Textured Video"

And this clearly shows that the textured video XV port is not disabled.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to
hang yourself.  And then a couple of feet more, just to be sure.

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7--