[ltp] Re: solid state drive?

Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:47:18 +0100

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 05:09:42PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:21:50 +0100
> km <km@grogg.org> wrote:
> > See this article on toms hardware for power comparisons:
> > http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-hard-drive,1968.html
> >=20
> > The wins on the other hand is:
> >  - speed (my x300 boots XP to desktop in 7 seconds and ubuntu in 15)
> >  - robustness (no moving parts)
> >  - sound (no moving parts)
>=20
> Yes, but AFAIK write is a lot slower than standard disk

It may depend a lot on the SSD in question.

E.g. my Asus EeePC 900 is horribly slow; basically you can't use Firefox
while downloading a file in the background because those fsync() calls
make it freeze for five seconds every ten seconds or so.

On the other hand there's
http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/2008/10/so-i-got-one-of-new-intel-ssds.=
html

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Perl is not a programming language, it's a natural language that
computers understand.

Better than people, for the most part.
		-- Steve Simmons

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5