[ltp] static discharge

Daniel Castro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:24:39 +0000

--001636c5b0652c726d04632dfdd5

2009/2/17 green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com>

> (I sent this message to the thinkpad@stderr.org list, but it seems to hav=
> gotten lost amony the many Windows BSOD complaints there, so I will try
> here.)
>

> Recently I was using my ThinkPad T61 when I felt static discharge between
> my
> finger and the system.  It happens frequently and I have not been too
> concerned
> about it, but I have wondered how safe it is when this happens (like
> sometimes
> when the system is not connected to AC, although I guess it isn't grounde=
> then
> either).
>
> Well, this particular time (as others), it happened on the right side of
> the
> system in the area of the Ultrabay slot (which contains the standard
> DVD=B1RW).
> I had the small finger of my right hand along the edge of the system, whe=
re
> it
> often seems to go between spats of furious (I wish) typing.  Suddenly wha=
> the
> discharge went somewhere into the system.  It was enough to make the end =
of
> my
> finger ache for several minutes.  The system has always run fine before
> when
> this happens but this time it powered off immediately.  I am not sure wha=
> happened with the LEDs, but when the imagined puff of smoke dispersed, on=
ly
> the
> battery and AC lights were on (which is correct).  I think the battery
> light
> may have been yellow rather than green, which is weird because the batter=
> was
> not empty.
>
> Soon I tried turning the system on again (I think the battery light went
> back
> to green then) and it seems to work.  I did not think to remove the batte=
ry
> before powering on.  The system is still running from that boot and has
> successfully suspended/resumed at least once.
>
> I looked through dmesg (Debian Linux - Lenny) and didn't find any
> complaints.
> Hopefully the hardware is all okay.
>
> Any thoughts?

well i wouldn't say it is normal for laptops to take ESDs, it has never
happened to me anyway... and it's the first time i hear it from someone
else.
i'd say it has a lot to do with the environment you are in, maybe to dry?
your shoes? the cloth you wear? i know i have a specific jacket for example
that every time i use it i'll be frying my fingers against everything i
touch...
but maybe there is something wrong with your laptop? i wouldn't be of much
help in the technical part, maybe someone in this list how really knows
what's under the hood there?

--=20
________________________

Daniel Castro, M.Sc.
+353 083-318-2058
dancasmo@gmail.com
castromd@tcd.ie
________________________

--001636c5b0652c726d04632dfdd5

"mailto:greenfreedom10@gmail.com">greenfreedom10@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span><b=
r><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204=
, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
(I sent this message to the <a href=3D"mailto:thinkpad@stderr.org">thinkpad=
@stderr.org</a> list, but it seems to have<br>
gotten lost amony the many Windows BSOD complaints there, so I will try her=
e.)<br>
Recently I was using my ThinkPad T61 when I felt static discharge between m=
y<br>
finger and the system. &nbsp;It happens frequently and I have not been too =
concerned<br>
about it, but I have wondered how safe it is when this happens (like someti=
mes<br>
when the system is not connected to AC, although I guess it isn&#39;t groun=
ded then<br>
either).<br>
Well, this particular time (as others), it happened on the right side of th=
e<br>
system in the area of the Ultrabay slot (which contains the standard DVD=B1=
RW).<br>
I had the small finger of my right hand along the edge of the system, where=
 it<br>
often seems to go between spats of furious (I wish) typing. &nbsp;Suddenly =
wham the<br>
discharge went somewhere into the system. &nbsp;It was enough to make the e=
nd of my<br>
finger ache for several minutes. &nbsp;The system has always run fine befor=
e when<br>
this happens but this time it powered off immediately. &nbsp;I am not sure =
what<br>
happened with the LEDs, but when the imagined puff of smoke dispersed, only=
 the<br>
battery and AC lights were on (which is correct). &nbsp;I think the battery=
 light<br>
may have been yellow rather than green, which is weird because the battery =
was<br>
not empty.<br>
Soon I tried turning the system on again (I think the battery light went ba=
ck<br>
to green then) and it seems to work. &nbsp;I did not think to remove the ba=
ttery<br>
before powering on. &nbsp;The system is still running from that boot and ha=
s<br>
successfully suspended/resumed at least once.<br>
I looked through dmesg (Debian Linux - Lenny) and didn&#39;t find any compl=
aints.<br>
Hopefully the hardware is all okay.<br>
Any thoughts?</blockquote><div>well i wouldn&#39;t say it is normal for lap=
tops to take ESDs, it has never happened to me anyway... and it&#39;s the f=
irst time i hear it from someone else.<br>i&#39;d say it has a lot to do wi=
th the environment you are in, maybe to dry? your shoes? the cloth you wear=
? i know i have a specific jacket for example that every time i use it i&#3=
9;ll be frying my fingers against everything i touch...<br>
but maybe there is something wrong with your laptop? i wouldn&#39;t be of m=
uch help in the technical part, maybe someone in this list how really knows=
 what&#39;s under the hood there? <br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quot=
e" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt =
0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
:dancasmo@gmail.com">dancasmo@gmail.com</a><br><a href=3D"mailto:castromd@t=
cd.ie">castromd@tcd.ie</a><br>

--001636c5b0652c726d04632dfdd5--