[ltp] Re: solid state drive?

Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:02:34 +0000

Laurent wrote:

> For the current generation it's a matter of erasing the blocks fast
> enough. Most SSD are fast as long as the blocks written by the OS
> are as big or bigger as the native block size. Ext3 journal is messy
> and syncs lot lots of small blocks. That make the disc a lot slower
> if you use lots of smalls files (like my email client or my dev-app).

Does write performance really matter though? I'd have thought that it
should be OK to live with background writes - as long as we have enough
RAM. Linux has been doing this for ages - try saving a file to floppy,
and you'll notice that the application thinks the file has been saved
before the floppy disk has finished writing.

Richard