[ltp] Re: solid state drive?

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:52:04 -0500

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 04:08:57PM +0100, Laurent wrote:
> For my workload (lot's of syncs) it does work the way i described it.
> The journal is updated at each sync (=after each write).
>
>> Or have you actually measured the performance problem?
>
> ext3 is 3:1 slower then ext2. For my workload.

I'll note though that if you have ACID requirements for your database
(one of your workloads was for a database commit/journal log) using
ext2 is a Really Bad Idea.

The bottom line is that apparently, the Intel X25-M SSD, with the
current firmware version, isn't appear to be a good choice today for
fsync-heavy workloads.

							- Ted