[ltp] restoring Windows XP on T41

Jeffrey Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 15:42:06 -0600

I've been trying to get Windows XP running inside VMware or VirtualBox.  In
the process I've trashed it.  So I did a re-install from the recovery
partition, it won't complete the installation.  It keeps rebooting during
sysprep and coming back to the same stage, with a chkdisk/scandisk during boot
each time.  I don't remember the sysprep from the last time I did a re-install
(it's been years) so I don't remember what I did that was successful.
Regardless less of what action I take Audit, Reseal, or the other, it comes
back to the same place each time, i.e., running sysprep.  I tried restoring
the partition from a dd copy (i.e., byte wise copy) and it blue screens with
an error message about unexpected interrupt.

Any suggestions on how to get back to a working Windows XP?  Tax time is
coming and TurboTax won't run in Wine or Crossover Office.

TIA,
  Jeffrey