[ltp] slow wireless lan connection

Adrian Bastholm linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:43:46 +0100

--001636c5a484aab4c90463970792

Throughtput should be at least 3MB/s for wireless-G. scan forother AP's and
see what they use for channels. Sometimes you can get better performance by
moving to a less used channel (such as 12 or 13). Also some cordless phones
operate on the 2,4ghz band and can cause speed problems. Also positioning
the antennas can influence the speed.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-008404.htm
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/837885/wifi_antenna_hack/ of course this woul=
probably be illegal, but hey, who cares ? :)

/adrian

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Volker Krueger <vok@cvmi.aau.dk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am curious about your experience with wireless lan in terms of speed.
> the throughput on my local network is 1.1MB/s, as tested with dd on nfs
> or with scp.
>
> On my laptop, I have an IWL5300ABGN
> the switch is a this classical linksys wireless-G switch, and the
> workstation is using a DWL550+ using on a USB2 port.
>
> I have checked the net a bit and it seems that experiences and comments
> are diverging a bit. It's too much to summarize, here.
>
> My impression is that this is a driver issue with the intel cards, but I
> might be totally wrong.
>
> Who has also a IWL5300 device and has perhaps similar experience with
> wireless speed?
>
> thanks in advance,
> best,
> Volker
>
> --

--=20
V=C3=A4nliga h=C3=A4lsningar / Kind regards,
Adrian Bastholm

I would change the world, but they won't give me the sourcecode

--001636c5a484aab4c90463970792

39;s and see what they use for channels. Sometimes you can get better perfo=
rmance by moving to a less used channel (such as 12 or 13). Also some cordl=
ess phones operate on the 2,4ghz band and can cause speed problems. Also po=
sitioning the antennas can influence the speed. <br>
>http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-008404.htm</a><br><a href=
=3D"http://www.metacafe.com/watch/837885/wifi_antenna_hack/">http://www.met=
acafe.com/watch/837885/wifi_antenna_hack/</a> of course this would probably=
 be illegal, but hey, who cares ? :)<br>
PM, Volker Krueger <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:vok@cvmi.aau.dk"=
 style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.=
8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Hi,<br>
I am curious about your experience with wireless lan in terms of speed.<br>
the throughput on my local network is 1.1MB/s, as tested with dd on nfs<br>
or with scp.<br>
On my laptop, I have an IWL5300ABGN<br>
the switch is a this classical linksys wireless-G switch, and the<br>
workstation is using a DWL550+ using on a USB2 port.<br>
I have checked the net a bit and it seems that experiences and comments<br>
are diverging a bit. It&#39;s too much to summarize, here.<br>
My impression is that this is a driver issue with the intel cards, but I<br=

might be totally wrong.<br>
Who has also a IWL5300 device and has perhaps similar experience with<br>
wireless speed?<br>
thanks in advance,<br>
best,<br>
Volker<br>
--<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>