[ltp] OT: Netbook. Looking for THE machine

Gary Woodman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:24:35 +1000

I've just been through this, and it looks like there's no such thing (at
least here in Australia). Thinkpads suggested are not netbooks :-)

All netbooks have WLAN. Nearest would be Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu (Lini 9 -
preinstall only available in the US AFAIK) and a large battery option. Next
would be Eee901 with Xandros Linux preinstall: nice hardware, but I'm
finding that marginally usable (weak and broken repository).

Your options expand dramatically if you can pay the M$ tax ;-)

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org
[mailto:linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org] On Behalf Of Axel Braun
Sent: 26 February 2009 07:51
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: [ltp] OT: Netbook. Looking for THE machine

Gents,

I'm looking for a netbook...something nice and stable with
- long battery runtime(!)
- SSD if possible, otherwise 'normal' harddisk
- useable Linux flavor *preinstalled*
- WLAN on board

The Samsung NC10 would be nice for the long runtime, but no Linux option.
Any recommendations? IdeaPad?

Thx!
--
Linux on a ThinkPad: www.axxite.com/brn