[ltp] Upgrade hard drive

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:10:07 -0500

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:28:45PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> I'm considering upgrading the hard drive in my ThinkPad R31.  It
> currently has a 40 GB drive, which I'm finding a bit tight now.  Any
> brand recommendations?  I see sizes range from about 80 - 320 GB.

I've always liked the Seagate Momentus 7200.x series.  At the moment
the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 has been released (although it seems to be
backordered everywhere I looked).  The Seagate Momenutus 7200.3 are
therefore quite cheap ATM, and have a max capacity of 320 GB.  (The
7200.4 have a max capacity of 500 GB).

The reason why I like the Seagate Momentus is that they have the
option of coming with a G force sensor.  This allows the disk to
protect itself automatically from shocks, without having to make the
OS wake up the CPU 30 times a second to check on the accelerometer ---
which does a real number of power utilization and hence battery life.

You need to make sure to get the version with the G force sensor.
These tend to be the models that have "ASG" as a substring of their
model number instead of just "AS".  Typically you pay an extra 5 bucks
for the feature, which is definitely worth it.

						- Ted