[ltp] Old Thinkpad with Neomagic NM2200 (MagicMedia 256AV) video/audio chip

rrkrr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 02 Jan 2009 08:22:30 -0500

Thanks.  I have done that and it improves the video frame update rate,
but its still not acceptable.  I think the problems here are manifold,
in that the DSDT table in the BIOS is defective, so I have to include
"acpi=force" in the /boot/menu.list file to get the machine to use
ACPI.  This loads the ThinkpadACPI options, which all work.  However,
looking at the boot logs, I see that all the PCI interrupts are being
routed through IRQ 11, including the sound - which is also provided by
the Neomagic chip.  In the BIOS, the neomagic sound section is supposed
to use ISA addressing and IRQ 5, but it doesn't.  The BIOS setup has
options to redirect unused interrupts for use by PCI - for instance if
the serial and parallel ports are deactivated in BIOS, interrupts 3 and
7 can be used by PCI, according to the BIOS setup, but if I try to
implement this the machine will not boot.  I have also tried "acpi=off"
"apm=on" and "pci=routeirq" in menu.lst, which gives better frame rates
in video, but then the sound does not work at all.  I think to make this
thing work, I'm going to have to find out what's wrong with the DSDT and
implement a fix that can be loaded at boot.  The capabilities of this
machine are not really worth that effort, except for the learning
experience....