[ltp] New Xorg ATI video drivers sloooow (in Fedora 10)

Matthias Runge linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 05 Jan 2009 13:04:03 +0100

Hi folks,

as the subject says, I'm experiencing a very bad 3d performance using
the ATI xorg-x11-driver version 6.9.

I've used fedora 9 also, so I just did an upgrade (and did not touch my
xorg.conf). In Fedora 9 the "ultimate benchmark" glxgears gave me approx
 800-900 frames per second, Fedora 10 just comes to 50 frames. (Machine
is a T43, ATI graphics, 1400x1050 screen)
Afaik, ubuntu uses newest xorg, too. Does somebody see comparing results?

Does someone else see this regression? Has anybody any clue, what to do?
I do not really need 3d, compiz etc., but graphics rendering feels
really slow and makes scrolling painful.

Thanks,
Matthias