[ltp] Re: Set-up for an x301?

Per Dalgas Jakobsen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 05 Jan 2009 21:22:58 +0100

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 11:19 -0700, Derrick Karpo wrote:

> >>I would use the default FS of your distribution.
> >>I'm not sure if there is anything optimized for
> >>SSDs yet.
> >
> > EXT3 it is then...
> >
> Some links you might be interested in:
>=20
>   http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=3D52503
>   http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One
>   http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=3D9190

This whole SSD business seems to be full with superstition and "old
knowledge", or at the least different opinions:
http://robert.penz.name/137/no-swap-partition-journaling-filesystem-on-a-ss=
d/
The real truth probably lies in between somewhere.

However, the first three tweak suggestions of the zdnet link sounds
reasonable to me, even though the first tweak does not seem to apply for
the x301.

After reading many opinions, I have decided to use Ext3 with:
"Tweak #2: Use the =E2=80=9Cnoop=E2=80=9D I/O scheduler."
"Tweak #3: Change the file system mount options on SSDs to =E2=80=9Cnoatime=
=E2=80=9D."

Thanks for the pointers!

~Per