[ltp] New Xorg ATI video drivers sloooow (in Fedora 10)

Phil Shotton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:23:31 +0000

Matthias Runge wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> as the subject says, I'm experiencing a very bad 3d performance using
> the ATI xorg-x11-driver version 6.9.
>
> I've used fedora 9 also, so I just did an upgrade (and did not touch my
> xorg.conf). In Fedora 9 the "ultimate benchmark" glxgears gave me approx
>  800-900 frames per second, Fedora 10 just comes to 50 frames. (Machine
> is a T43, ATI graphics, 1400x1050 screen)
> Afaik, ubuntu uses newest xorg, too. Does somebody see comparing results?
>
> Does someone else see this regression? Has anybody any clue, what to do?
> I do not really need 3d, compiz etc., but graphics rendering feels
> really slow and makes scrolling painful.
>
> Thanks,
> Matthias

I'm getting around 1800 fps with this driver on a T60p (ATI 5250).
Earlier versions were giving me around 1900 fps, but I don't think the
difference is significant as I haven't standardised the tests. Looks
like something else is stopping 3d being fast.

Regards
Phil