[ltp] Old Thinkpad with Neomagic NM2200 (MagicMedia 256AV) video/audio chip

Damien Challet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 17:06:09 +0100

On Sunday 04 January 2009 00.29:11 rrkrr wrote:
> Damien,
> Well, now we're getting somewhere.  The pci-noacpi allowed the BIOS
> allocation of multiple irq numbers to the PCI bus to work.  Now I can
> play youtube movies and the sound works perfectly, but the video frame
> rate is about 4 frames per second - the video keeps up with the movie
> though, so it is skipping frames.  Do you know anything about setting up
> parameters in xorg.conf for the neomagic framebuffer?  I've attached a
> copy of the "messages" log from the latest boot.  The "Cannot find map
> file" error at the third line from the top seems to be a common problem
> with Ubuntu 8.10 at the moment.

I am afraid that this laptop is not powerful enough to play youtube videos. At
least, I have never managed to achieve that (and I have hacked mine with a
450Mhz Pentium III).