[ltp] New Xorg ATI video drivers sloooow (in Fedora 10)

Michael Karcher linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:48:00 +0100

--=-kAgySBRKjFeY+6G719//

Am Montag, den 05.01.2009, 13:04 +0100 schrieb Matthias Runge:
> I've used fedora 9 also, so I just did an upgrade (and did not touch my
> xorg.conf). In Fedora 9 the "ultimate benchmark" glxgears gave me approx
>  800-900 frames per second, Fedora 10 just comes to 50 frames. (Machine
> is a T43, ATI graphics, 1400x1050 screen)
AFAIK the 1400x1050 LCD runs at 50Hz refresh rate. Probably
wait-for-vsync is now default; you can change that with driconf. Easiest
way of telling whether the acceleration fails or wait-for-vsync is the
culprit: Look at your CPU usage. If it is high, something is fishy with
your 3D setup. If it is low (<10%) while glxgears is running, glxgears
just avoids calculating frames that would never be shown anyway.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher

--=-kAgySBRKjFeY+6G719//

--=-kAgySBRKjFeY+6G719//--