[ltp] Old Thinkpad with Neomagic NM2200 (MagicMedia 256AV) video/audio chip

Wed, 07 Jan 2009 16:19:41 +0000

Damien Challet wrote:

> I am afraid that this laptop is not powerful enough to play youtube videos. At
> least, I have never managed to achieve that (and I have hacked mine with a
> 450Mhz Pentium III).

My X20 (600 MHz PIII) is just on-the-cusp of not quite being able to
deal with youtube. It can, however play video with mplayer. As I
understand it, the flash-player used by youtube is pretty inefficient at
using CPU, and has no GPU acceleration.

I haven't investigated it myself, but you might find that one of the
alternatives
such as Gnash is better, or in some cases, you can get a firefox plugin
that allows you to download and save the youtube video; then play it
directly with mplayer.

Best wishes,

Richard