[ltp] cuda and the quadro nvs 140M, memory allocation issues

Micha Feigin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:23:12 +0200

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:27:48 +0000
Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Micha Feigin wrote:
> > I'm trying to learn cuda programming (run programs on the gpu) under my t61
> > with the quadro nvs 140m card.
> >
> > I keep getting memory allocation failures and anything but very small
> > allocations.
> >
> > I don't know if it's related but it seems that the card is wrongly reporting
> > the amount of memory it has.
> >
> > AFAIK it should have 256MB memory. nvidia settings shows though that it has
> > 512MB and I don't know how to check what it's saying.
> >
> > I'm also guessing that X is taking too much of the video memory but not
> > sure.
> >

> At a guess, your card is pulling the common trick of claiming a large
> chunk of regular system RAM, and using it as a (lower-bandwidth)
> addition to the card's main RAM; you can usually switch this off in the
> BIOS.

That's what I was guessing but there is not bios option to play with this as
far as I could find. I also couldn't see a module option to change this.

looking at free and /proc/meminfo it seems that there are 53.75 MB missing,
which is 1/5 of what is supposed to be missing but is still weird. (machine
should have 2GB installed, which is 2097152 bytes. meminfo says there are only
2042112 bytes)