[ltp] sysrescue cd in hidden partition booting with the thinkvantage-button

Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:27:39 +0000

georg gut wrote:
> hi thogetter i am new hear,
>
> i want install ubuntu 8.10 on my x61s, but bevor i start the
> installation i search a possibility to start sysrescuecd rescuesystem
> ore a other linux rescuesystem with the thinkvantage button.
>
> is there anny possibility to doe this?
>

> thank you georg an sorry for my written english

Dear Georg,

Welcome to Linux - I hope you enjoy Ubuntu. As to the system rescue
feature, it's in the BIOS on the "hidden partition". As long as you
don't unhide that partition (in the BIOS option), you almost certainly
won't break the system restore function.

However, in my view, that feature is a totally worthless waste of disk
space. When activated, it destroys all the data on all partitions of
your disk, leaving you with the machine exactly as it left the factory.

My advice is
   1. Back up your *data* on the windows partition onto somewhere else.

   2. Unhide the system-restore hidden partition from the BIOS and
re-claim the space.

   3. Try out Ubuntu on the liveCD. See if you like it.

   4. Install Ubuntu; you can generally trust the installer to shrink
the windows partition.

   5. In the unlikely event that something goes wrong, (and that you
still want Windows back), you can get a system restore CD from IBM -
call them and they will post one to you.

Best wishes,

Richard