[ltp] sysrescue cd in hidden partition booting with the thinkvantage-button

Jeffrey Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:13:01 -0600

Quoting Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk>:

> georg gut wrote:
>> hi thogetter i am new hear,
>>  i want install ubuntu 8.10 on my x61s, but bevor i start the installation
>> i search a possibility to start sysrescuecd rescuesystem ore a other linux
>> rescuesystem with the thinkvantage button.
>>  is there anny possibility to doe this?
>>   thank you georg an sorry for my written english
>
> Dear Georg,
>
> Welcome to Linux - I hope you enjoy Ubuntu. As to the system rescue
> feature, it's in the BIOS on the "hidden partition". As long as you don't
> unhide that partition (in the BIOS option), you almost certainly won't
> break the system restore function.

This is NOT true for all models of ThinkPads.  AFAICT it is true only for the
rescue CDs.  On my T41 I have restored Windows at least 4 times without
touching the Linux partitions.  The rescue partition overwrites just the first
partition; so just leave Windows there, shrink the partition and install Linux
in the new partition(s).

IMHO, I've paid for Windows and it is occasionally in necessary to get the job
done.  It gets booted several times a year, mostly to update it.  And the
rescue partition is insurance against MS f*cking with dual booting in their
"security" updates, which it sure looks like they are doing.

I'm a computer professional, not an OS zealot, and can't always afford to
force my preferences on paying customers.

HTH,
  Jeffrey