[ltp] Power supply requirements of a T41

Phil Shotton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:15:09 +0000

Joerg Bruehe wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> this weekend, I bought a used T41 on a computer fair to set it up for my
> nephew. It was running fine on the fair, didn't show any defects.
>
> Only back home, I discovered that the machine is labeled  16 V, 4.5 A
> whereas the power supply unit is labeled (for the output) 16 V, 3.36 A
>
> My questions:
> - Does anybody know the power used by the machine during normal
>   operation (worst-case, no special steps taken to reduce consumption) ?
> (I looked at Thinkwiki but didn't find any info - pointers are welcome.)
>
> - Those of you who own a T41: Could you please look at your PSUs and
>   tell me their labeling ?
> (This one reads "P/N 02K6543", "FRU P/N 02K6555".)
>
> With my R51, both the machine and its PSU are labeled 4.5 A (but I want
> to keep my PSU ;-)

Looks like you've got a T3x power supply (or even older). Having
upgraded through this route I have both power supplies and the T41
worked fine with the lower output PSU except for the screen flickering
during heavy disk access. It still charges the battery effectively (and
there's obviously no problem if you're on battery power alone). I
wouldn't worry about it too much unless the flickering becomes
irritating, and you can always get a universal PSU of the right output
later.

Phil