[ltp] sysrescue cd in hidden partition booting with the thinkvantage-button

Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:33:04 +0000

>> Welcome to Linux - I hope you enjoy Ubuntu. As to the system rescue
>> feature, it's in the BIOS on the "hidden partition". As long as you don't
>> unhide that partition (in the BIOS option), you almost certainly won't
>> break the system restore function.
>
> This is NOT true for all models of ThinkPads.

I think you've quoted the wrong bit of my message here - I think you
wanted to disagree with my assertion that the rescue partition can trash
your linux install; not my assertion that if you leave the hidden
partition hidden by the BIOS, you won't be able to delete the rescue
partition by accident.

AFAICT it is true only for the
> rescue CDs.  On my T41 I have restored Windows at least 4 times without
> touching the Linux partitions.  The rescue partition overwrites just the first
> partition; so just leave Windows there, shrink the partition and install Linux
> in the new partition(s).

I stand corrected - though I think what I say was correct at least for
the A22 I used to use. (I wiped the HDD clean on my T60p). Doesn't the
rescue program also zap the partition table or bootloader?

> IMHO, I've paid for Windows and it is occasionally in necessary to get the job
> done.  It gets booted several times a year, mostly to update it.  And the
> rescue partition is insurance against MS f*cking with dual booting in their
> "security" updates, which it sure looks like they are doing.

But these days, KQEMU or VMWare are both sufficiently good that you
needn't use a "real" install of Windows. Also, Wine handles a surprising
amount of software.

Richard