[ltp] sysrescue cd in hidden partition booting with the thinkvantage-button

Phil Shotton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:06:12 +0000

Richard Neill wrote:
> But these days, KQEMU or VMWare are both sufficiently good that you
> needn't use a "real" install of Windows. Also, Wine handles a
> surprising amount of software.
>
> Richard

The biggest problem I've had with VMWare (and I suspect KQEMU would be
the same) is with applications using USB. For instance, to reflash my
mobile phone, it has to be powered on while connected to USB and so to
the updater software. This didn't work under VMWare even though once the
phone was up and running the USB connection worked fine. I didn't
investigate this thoroughly as I didn't want to brick my phone!

Phil