[ltp] sysrescue cd in hidden partition booting with the thinkvantage-button

Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:15:56 +0000

Adrian Bastholm wrote:
> Yes but certain corporate policies stop you from getting more than one
> IP at a time, or you could be having problems with windows activation
> because of VMware, or the DHCP verifies the MAC address, etc. There's
> always a downside also.

At least in QEMU  (I don't have much experience with VMWare), there is
an internal dhcp server and a virtual private network. So your laptop
only exposes the IP address of your host OS; the guest OS is normally
invisible to the outside world (though of course, you *can* set it to
have it's own IP or port forwarding). This is essentially the same
process as hiding many machines behind the same NAT firewall.

You certainly can activate Windows in both QEMU and VMWare - have done both.

Also, at least in Linux, it's very easy to alter your MAC address
temporarily. The command:
   ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:01:02:03:04:05
will do it. Unique MAC addresses are burned into the EPROM of every
network device, BUT the kernel doesn't have to use that one.

Richard