[ltp] IBM Thinkpad T60 (With Intel Graphics Card) All Movies Flicker

Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:02:03 +0100

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 18:45:10 +0100, Damjan wrote:

[...]

> I have
>   Adaptor #0: "Intel(R) Textured Video"
>     port base: 69
>   Adaptor #1: "Intel(R) Video Overlay"
>     port base: 85
>
> > If you get 2 adaptors, and the first one is "Intel(R) Textured Video",
> > then use the port base of adaptor labeled "Intel(R) Video Overlay" in
> > mplayer:
> >
> > $ mplayer -vo xv:port=portnumber movie.mpg
>
> It seems portnumber is the above number from xvinfo + 1 ... mplayer only
> allows 1 and 2

No, portnumber is the port base.

> Anyway.. what is the difference? I can't notice any difference.
> I use xf86-video-intel 2.5.99.2

In movie playback, textured video tends to tear the picture
horizontally by skipping to the next frame while the current frame is
still drawn.  This is noticable as horizontal distortions, sometimes
also recognized as flicker (like in the subject).  With Overlay, this
doesn't happen because the vblank handling allows to switch to the next
frame if the current frame is completely drawn.

Regards,
Tino