[ltp] Replacing the backlight of the thinkpad LCD

cupaxe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:50:31 -0500

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for all your helpful suggestions and tips so far. On
your suggestion, I purchased and replaced the inverter with the same
exact model number (second hand though) from eBay. Unfortunately for
me, it didn't solve the problem.

The display starts off fine, bright and clear. At random times during
the boot, it just goes completely blank and has to be rebooted for it
to appear again. The exact time from the start of the reboot when it
goes blank is different for every reboot.

Do you all still think it is an inverter problem? If not, then is it a
backlight problem? I then need to replace the backlight which seems to
be very complicated from the looks for it. I still haven't removed the
LCD from the casing so I don't even know what lies behind it and how I
can get to the backlight. Looking forward to all your guidance and
suggestions.

Thanks,
Krishna