[ltp] Multi adapter framebuffer

Connor Behan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 18 Jan 2009 13:10:28 -0500

This might be a little off-topic but it concerns people using a docked
video card or some other external display adapter. Is it possible for a
framebuffer to use a secondary display device? vesafb and uvesafb
initialize /dev/fb0 alright for my internal Rage Mobility M3, but my
docked Radeon X1550 cannot be used as a framebuffer no matter how hard I
try. Modprobing radeon creates /dev/dri/card1, but modprobing radeonfb
doesn't create /dev/fb1. The new radeon driver with kernel modesetting
might work but before I compile the kernel, libdrm and xf86-video-ati
from git does anyone know an easier way to have two framebuffers - one
for each video card? Thanks.