[ltp] Thinkpad T60 Wireless LED on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)

Michael Milligan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:52:10 -0700

Ahmad Amr wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Does anyone have an idea how to get the wireless LED working on Thinkpad
> T60 on Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex?? I googled around a lot and didn't find any
> answer, hope to find one here, thanks!

If you're using the madwifi driver (i.e, you have the "IBM a/b/g" card
with an Atheros chipset), then as root, create a file call
/etc/network/if-up.d/wifi and put the following in it:
#!/bin/sh
# Turn on Wifi LED on T60
if [ "$IFACE" = "ath0" ]; then
    /sbin/sysctl -q -e dev.wifi0.ledpin=1
    /sbin/sysctl -q -e dev.wifi0.softled=3
fi

Then chmod +x the file.

This will turn on the right plumbing to make the LED indicator blink
whenever Network Manager brings up the ath0 interface, i.e., when you
get connected to an Access Point.  And it also works if you have to
reset/clear the card (as I sometimes have to do) via "rmmod ath_pci" and
"modprobe ath_pci".

Regards,
Mike