[ltp] Re: Thinkpad T60 Wireless LED on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)

Micha Feigin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:17:51 +0200

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:44:28 -0500
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > At least with intel iwl4965 I had to compile the compatwireless drivers with
> > the led enabled. With madwifi and atheros it required setting sysctl
> > variables
>
> > dev.wifi0.ledpin = 1
> > dev.wifi0.softled = 3
>
> I'm using iwl3945 with Debian's kernel 2.6.26 and the wireless led
> "works", but I wonder if we all agree on the term "works": it does turn
> ON and OFF and sometimes flashes as well, but I find that I don't really
> know what ON and flashing means and it overall doesn't really give me
> the information I want.  E.g. it basically never turns OFF.
>

>         Stefan

At least with iwl4965 it turns on when wifi is active (antena is on) and turns
of when antena is disabled. flashing usually means transmission.

That same card was also connected to the physical wireless switch (unlike the
atheros card) so you can try flipping that switch to if it turns off. It also
had an rfkill entry in /sys (find /sys -name "*rfkill*" should find it). For
some reason atheros doesn't have that either (with madwifi it says that it's
disabled, forced enabling doesn't seem to do anthing, ath5k doesn't say
anything about it either)