[ltp] Re: Multi adapter framebuffer

Connor Behan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:19:15 -0500

To answer my own question, vesafb and uvesafb only support the boot
device and radeonfb and aty128fb should support secondary ones. Here's
my actual problem:

When I boot up using the r128 card, loading the radeonfb module fails to
create /dev/fb1 because my card is too new (RV505).

When I boot up using the radeon card, loading aty128fb will create
/dev/fb1 *sometimes* and I still haven't figured out what dictates when
it does. However, even when that framebuffer is created and starting X
with fbdev on it "works" and using con2fb to put consoles on it "works"
the monitor is still blank! I end up having to silently type and click!
I've seen other reports of aty128fb not rendering anything for people
with the Rage Mobility M3 chip. Does anyone know what the problem is? Is
anyone using aty128fb as a working framebuffer on an M3 card and 2.6
kernel?

And if there are other drivers that I could be using but haven't
mentioned, PLEASE TELL ME!
Thanks.