[ltp] Re: Thinkpad T60 Wireless LED on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 22:40:47 -0500

> That's the way I like it, because it tells you if the transceiver is on.
> For example on planes this way you know you are safe.

I cannot relate to this sentiment:
- the rfkill switch works better for that.
- if the plane's safety depends on you taking such measures, then all
  passengers (and populations underneath) are in deep trouble.

> Unassociated doesn't mean that it's not transmeeting either I'm here,
> does anyone want to connect, or is there anybody out there, which is
> not the same as antena off.

As mentioned, I don't actually care about the antenna's status, as long as:
- it doesn't suck up my battery.
- nobody can hack into my system or capture valuable data.
I guess having the antenna really off is good to make sure nobody can
detect my presence, but I don't care that much about it, and when that's
really needed, the rfkill does that job better than any LED can.

> Usually if you are associated there is at least some blinking.

There's also blinking when you're trying to associate.  So it really
doesn't tell me anything about the association state, which is the only
thing I really care about.

> What madwifi did is blink when there is traffic and otherwise stay off
> which I liked less.

Indeed, I'd find it completely useless.

        Stefan