[ltp] suspend works with i915 module, but without, it fails!

axp linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:50:10 +0100

Volker Krueger wrote:
> dear all,
>
> two small corrections: of course it is kernel 2.6(!).27.7
>
> and in case of the wakeup after the standby: the screen does not stay
> blank as described below. My memory was wrong: the wakeup end where the
> screen is black with the mouse pointer visible, i.e., the x-server
> starts but then something freezes. I have not tried a remote login. In
> case a remote login would work: which log file would be the one to look at?
>
> does anyone have an idea how to debug that in general?
>
> best,
> Volker
>

> Volker Krueger wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> has someone observed this, too?
>>
>> my laptop happily suspends when the i915/dri  modules are loaded.
>> However, it fails when I start the x-server without the i915/dri !!
>>
>> To be precise: I use suse11.1, with the std-kernel (kernel 2.7.27.7).
>> The laptop: X200s
>> Graphicscard:Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
>>
>> I compare the two x-server  settings, where one has the additional line
>>
>> 'Option       "NoDRI"'
>>
>> in the Device-section.
>>
>> Without the NoDRI option, the suspend works perfecty. With this option,
>> however, the laptop shuts down, but hangs somewhere after the wake-up,
>> while the screen is still dark.
>>
>> The whole point for using NoDRI is that the X200s saves about 20%(!!)
>> energy when on battery.
>>
>> any ideas?
>>
>> best,
>> Volker

Hi,

i can confirm this bug, although having a x301, but we have the same GPU.

what i cant confirm is that you can save 20%(!!) of power drain with
setting the NoDRI option.

mine is using 8.7W while writing this email and have a lot of
applications open which are known to wake the system a lot:

pidgin
opera (20+ tabs open, currently doing some research)
thunderbird
and some terminals
2.6.27-11-generic  x86_64

using ubuntu 8.10
with some additional sources:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/intel-gfx-testing/ubuntu intrepid main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/surban/ubuntu intrepid main

and intrepid-proposed

i would recommend using the intel-gfx-testing maybe it helps

HTH,
Ferdinand