[ltp] suspend works with i915 module, but without, it fails!

Volker Krueger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:58:50 +0100

Hi Ferdinand,

that sounds actually like you have found a good setting.

I just tried the same (normal wiring on battery with thunderbird and
firefox) and I have a long-term consumption (according to poiwertop) of
9.8W, the short term is presently at around 8.9 W.

Did you do anything special to get the consumption down or was it like
that out of the box?

best,
Volker

axp wrote:
> Volker Krueger wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> when I use powertop, I can see that i915 generates a lot of interrupts.
>> Apparently, this is a bug that is corrected in 2.6.28. Perhaps in your
>> ubuntu kernel this is already fixed.
>>
>> I am using opensuse and here, the bug with the i915 sending a lot of
>> interrupts is not yet fixed.
>>
>> If you say that there is no difference in power consumtion for you when
>> working with or without the i915/dri, then I suppose it is sufficient to
>> simply wait for the corrected kernel.
>>
>> Presently, at least, it still is a difference of about 1-1.5 W.
>>
>> best,
>> Volker
>>

>> axp wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i can confirm this bug, although having a x301, but we have the same GPU.
>>>
>>> what i cant confirm is that you can save 20%(!!) of power drain with
>>> setting the NoDRI option.
>>>
>>> mine is using 8.7W while writing this email and have a lot of
>>> applications open which are known to wake the system a lot:
>>>
>>> pidgin
>>> opera (20+ tabs open, currently doing some research)