[ltp] Windows/Super Key Mapping

Rob Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:07:56 -0600

--000e0cd2980297f5b7046128976d

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Michael Gaber <Michael.Gaber@gmx.net>wrote=
:

> >> Hi
> >>
> >> as stated here
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#United_States the US
> >> keyboard indeed has only a second Alt key, no AltGr, so no possibility
> >> to input accented characters.
> >> So if you don't use them it would be safe to use this key as
> windows-key.
> >> if right alt gives a different symbol as does right alt (check with xe=
v)
> >>  you could try to modify your mappings in the config file.
> >>

> > I'm surprised by that - it seems strange that these days a US keyboard
> > should be missing AltGr, as the extra characters aren't just
> > international ones such as the german =DF character, but include cents =
(=A2)
> > degrees (=BA) and micro (=B5).
> >
> > You can map practically anything to anything else with xmodmap. Or you
> > could even set your layout to UK and then just swap the double-quotes
> > and @ symbols back.
> >
> > Lastly, you might want to check out xbindkeys, which lets you specify
> > shortcuts to launch applications.
> >
> > Richard
> >

> i meant modify mappings as in "change the openbox config to not react on
> Mod1 but Mod4 instead" not modding the keymap itself. (Keynames
> arbitrary chosen)
>
> Michael

In the end, how I resolved this issue was to modify the keymaps. I created
the file .Xmodmap in my /home directory, then using advice from fhsm on the
#!CrunchBang forum, I added the following lines to my .Xmodmap....

keycode 108 =3D Super_R
add mod4 =3D Super_R
remove mod1 =3D Super_R
remove mod1 =3D Alt_R

This did the trick. My right Alt key now serves the function of a
Windows/Super key and I am able to use the shortcut menu that is default in
#!CrunchBang Linux. My left Alt key is unaffected, so I have not lost
functionality.

I wanted to post this resolution in case anyone searches this thread in the
future. Thanks to everyone who posted a reply attempting to help.

--=20
Rob Smith

Posted via #!CrunchBang Linux (v.8.10.01)
A lightweight Ubuntu distribution.
Because software, like people, should be allowed to exist in an open,
sharing community, and not kept contained by corporate greed!

--000e0cd2980297f5b7046128976d

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Michael Gaber <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:Michael.Gaber@gmx.net">Michael.Gaber@gmx.net</a>&gt;</span> wro=
te:<br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; p=
adding-left: 1ex;">
Richard Neill schrieb:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:=
&gt;&gt;&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; <a href=3D"http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mai=
ad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad</a><br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Thanks for the reply Richard. I followed the link that you pos=
ted and<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; tried the AltGr thing in GEdit, but it does not seem to be wor=
king, as<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; nothing appeared in the buffer.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; I&#39;m not married to the right side Alt key, it is just that=
 I noted<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; something being posted about that being how the issue was reso=
lved in<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Windows on the X40. I&#39;d be happy to use one of those keys =
that are on<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; either side of the Up Arrow key for this purpose.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; --<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Rob Smith<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Posted via #!CrunchBang Linux (v.8.10.01)<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Because software, like people, should be allowed to exist in a=
n open,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; sharing community, and not kept contained by corporate greed!<=
br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Hi<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; as stated here<br>
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#United_Sta=
tes" target=3D"_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#United_=
States</a> the US<br>
&gt;&gt; keyboard indeed has only a second Alt key, no AltGr, so no possibi=
lity<br>
&gt;&gt; to input accented characters.<br>
&gt;&gt; So if you don&#39;t use them it would be safe to use this key as w=
indows-key.<br>
&gt;&gt; if right alt gives a different symbol as does right alt (check wit=
h xev)<br>
&gt;&gt; &nbsp;you could try to modify your mappings in the config file.<br=

&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;m surprised by that - it seems strange that these days a US keyb=
oard<br>
&gt; should be missing AltGr, as the extra characters aren&#39;t just<br>
&gt; international ones such as the german =DF character, but include cents=
 (=A2)<br>
&gt; degrees (=BA) and micro (=B5).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; You can map practically anything to anything else with xmodmap. Or you=
&gt; could even set your layout to UK and then just swap the double-quotes<=
br>
&gt; and @ symbols back.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Lastly, you might want to check out xbindkeys, which lets you specify<=
br>
&gt; shortcuts to launch applications.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Richard<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
o not react on<br>
Mod1 but Mod4 instead&quot; not modding the keymap itself. (Keynames<br>
arbitrary chosen)<br>
Michael<br>
modify the keymaps. I created the file .Xmodmap in my /home directory, then=
 using advice from fhsm on the #!CrunchBang forum, I added the following li=
nes to my .Xmodmap....<br>
w serves the function of a Windows/Super key and I am able to use the short=
cut menu that is default in #!CrunchBang Linux. My left Alt key is unaffect=
ed, so I have not lost functionality.<br>
 the future. Thanks to everyone who posted a reply attempting to help.<br c=
.10.01)<br>
A lightweight Ubuntu distribution.<br>Because software, like people, should=
 be allowed to exist in an open, sharing community, and not kept contained =
by corporate greed!<br>

--000e0cd2980297f5b7046128976d--