[ltp] T60p random hangs (ACPI?)

Adrian Bastholm linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:38:42 +0100

--0016369fa251a029cb04616a663c

I've experienced hard hangs with a T60, but none so hard that the system
needs to rest. I have no clue to what causes these hangs, but almost every
time, it happened during system configuration of some sort. I haven't tried
acpi=3Doff but ACPI should work fine on these machines.

Regards,
Adrian

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk>wro=
te:

> Dear All,
>
> Has anyone seen weird symptoms similar to the following:
>
> My T60p generally works fine, but after a few hours of use (usually betwe=
en
> 10-30 of uptime), it locks hard, requiring a power-off-reset.
>
> After the reset, I can get to grub just fine, but the system immediately
> hangs (black screen, no activity) at the instant that grub exits. Memtest
> will run just fine though, as will Linux but ONLY if I add the acpi=3Doff
> parameter.
>
> Alternatively, allowing the system to "rest" (with or without AC charging=
)
> for an hour will make it happy again, and it then boots OK.
>
> There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to end the sulk, other than wa=
it
> (pulling the battery doesn't help). The machine doesn't seem to be
> significantly warm anywhere.
>
> I'm using the VESA driver, so it shouldn't be ATI-related.
>
> The cause of the lockups themselves is unknown - I can't find any
> correlation, and often I'm doing nothing at all, or just trying to move t=
he
> mouse pointer. Running "nice yes > /dev/null" a few times (to generate a =
hot
> CPU) doesn't trigger the bug.
>
> Any ideas would be welcome.
>
> Richard
> --

--=20
V=C3=A4nliga h=C3=A4lsningar / Kind regards,
Adrian Bastholm

I would change the world, but they won't give me the sourcecode

--0016369fa251a029cb04616a663c

I&#39;ve experienced hard hangs with a T60, but none so hard that the syste=
m needs to rest. I have no clue to what causes these hangs, but almost ever=
y time, it happened during system configuration of some sort. I haven&#39;t=
 tried acpi=3Doff but ACPI should work fine on these machines.<br>
09 at 11:03 PM, Richard Neill <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rn214=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204=
); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Dear All,<br>
Has anyone seen weird symptoms similar to the following:<br>
My T60p generally works fine, but after a few hours of use (usually between=
 10-30 of uptime), it locks hard, requiring a power-off-reset.<br>
After the reset, I can get to grub just fine, but the system immediately<br=

hangs (black screen, no activity) at the instant that grub exits. Memtest w=
ill run just fine though, as will Linux but ONLY if I add the acpi=3Doff pa=
rameter.<br>
Alternatively, allowing the system to &quot;rest&quot; (with or without AC =
charging) for an hour will make it happy again, and it then boots OK.<br>
There doesn&#39;t seem to be anything I can do to end the sulk, other than =
wait (pulling the battery doesn&#39;t help). The machine doesn&#39;t seem t=
o be significantly warm anywhere.<br>
I&#39;m using the VESA driver, so it shouldn&#39;t be ATI-related.<br>
The cause of the lockups themselves is unknown - I can&#39;t find any corre=
lation, and often I&#39;m doing nothing at all, or just trying to move the =
mouse pointer. Running &quot;nice yes &gt; /dev/null&quot; a few times (to =
generate a hot CPU) doesn&#39;t trigger the bug.<br>

Any ideas would be welcome.<br>
Richard<br><font color=3D"#888888">
-- <br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>