[ltp] Re: T60p random hangs (ACPI?)

Rolf Kutz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:51:43 +0100

On 26/01/09 22:03 +0000, Richard Neill wrote:
>Has anyone seen weird symptoms similar to the following:
>
>My T60p generally works fine, but after a few hours of use (usually
>between 10-30 of uptime), it locks hard, requiring a power-off-reset.

Sounds like a bad soldering joint or fissure of
the mainboard or other system part. When the
System get's warm the mainboard expands and the
connection get cut.

>After the reset, I can get to grub just fine, but the system immediately
>hangs (black screen, no activity) at the instant that grub exits.
>Memtest will run just fine though, as will Linux but ONLY if I add the
>acpi=off parameter.
>
>Alternatively, allowing the system to "rest" (with or without AC
>charging) for an hour will make it happy again, and it then boots OK.

When it becomes colder, the connection is
"repaired" until it get's warm again.

>There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to end the sulk, other than
>wait (pulling the battery doesn't help). The machine doesn't seem to be
>significantly warm anywhere.

It doesn't have to be extra hot, just enough to
break the connection.

If you're still on warranty contact your service
center.

regards, Rolf
--
I si para prop 10