[ltp] T61 hinge is loose

Poul Anker Gensmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:45:25 -0000 (Europe/Copenhagen)

On Tue, January 27, 2009 15:20, Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DSM CD) wrote:
> Markus Grunwald wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> after a good year of using my T61, the hinge of its LCD panel is quite
>> loose: I can wiggle the LCD by about 5mm to 1cm at its top side.
>>
> Same here. As this is my company-issued TP, I don't want to disassemble
> it,
> but I've seen the same problem with other laptops. Basically you "just"
> need
> to disassemble the panel, tighten the screws that connect the panel to the
> hinge, reassemble. Maybe put a drop of nail polish on each screw to
> prevent
> it from loosening too soon again.

I've had the exact same problem with my T61p.
A service guy told me that hinges are not covered by the on-site warranty.
But as the laptop was like this from day one, IBM did cover it though.

The hinges themselves cannot be tightened (no screws there), but need to
be replaced - they are fastened along the LCD, so it's quite an operation.

If it's still covered by a warranty, ask the German IBM guys if they can
help. If not, do a cost-benefit analysis.

--
Best regards Poul Anker Gensmann
Contact info at http://gensmann.net