[ltp] 600X: Trackpoint pointer not working at all

michael mclaughlin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 18:53:12 +0000 (GMT)

Fedora Core 6, kernel 2.6.18 installed on a IBM Thinkpad 600X.
The TrackPoint pointer (the red button in the middle of the keyboard) and t=
he associated selection buttons are not enabled.
NOTE: This model does not have a touch pad, just click-buttons and trackpoi=
nt pointer.
A normal PS/2 plugged in at the back of the computer works OK.
My /etc/X11/xorg.conf has no mention of the Trackpoint pointer, or of any m=
ouse...
=3D=3D=3D
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
=09Identifier     "single head configuration"
=09Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
=09InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
=09Identifier  "Keyboard0"
=09Driver      "kbd"
=09Option=09    "XkbModel" "pc105"
=09Option=09    "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
=09Identifier   "Monitor0"
=09ModelName    "LCD Panel 1024x768"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
=09HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5
=09VertRefresh  40.0 - 70.0
=09Option=09    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
=09Identifier  "Videocard0"
=09Driver      "neomagic"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
=09Identifier "Screen0"
=09Device     "Videocard0"
=09Monitor    "Monitor0"
=09DefaultDepth     16
=09SubSection "Display"
=09=09Viewport   0 0
=09=09Depth     24
=09=09Modes    "800x600"
=09EndSubSection
=09SubSection "Display"
=09=09Viewport   0 0
=09=09Depth     16
=09=09Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
=09EndSubSection
EndSection

=3D=3D=3D
Some more info:
* psmouse is built-in to the 2.6.18 kernel, so I don't need to load it as a=
 module.
* dmidecode correctly lists a TrackPoint device
* /proc/bus/input/devices does not list a TrackPoint device!
* ls /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/
bind_mode driver input:event1 modalias rate resync_time
bus drvctl input:input1 power resetafter subsystem
description id input:mouse0 protocol resolution ueven
* synaptics RPM is installed (but I think this is for touchpad users?)
The FC8 kernel doesn't seem to be registering my TrackPoint.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Mike=0A=0A=0A