[ltp] 600X: Trackpoint pointer not working at all

Sat, 31 Jan 2009 23:18:56 +0000

Chris Schumann wrote:
> michael mclaughlin wrote:
>> Fedora Core 6, kernel 2.6.18 installed on a IBM Thinkpad 600X.
>> The TrackPoint pointer (the red button in the middle of the keyboard)
>> and the associated selection buttons are not enabled.
>> NOTE: This model does not have a touch pad, just click-buttons and
>> trackpoint pointer.
>> A normal PS/2 plugged in at the back of the computer works OK.
>> My /etc/X11/xorg.conf has no mention of the Trackpoint pointer, or of
>> any mouse...

First, check the hardware. In a console, run
   cat /dev/input/mouseX
where X is variously 0,1 etc, and also might be "mice".

Wiggle the trackpont. Do you get some "garbage" on screen? You might
need to be root. If the terminal gets full of junk, use "reset" or "stty
sane" to clear it.

If the hw isn't working, you have a problem, maybe check the BIOS or
tpctl settings for the thinkpad.

If the hw is working, then you need to reconfigure xorg.conf. Usually,
just "/dev/input/mice" will do for the mouse device.

Richard