[ltp] ACPI and /proc/acpi/ibm/beep

Mon, 6 Jul 2009 11:41:55 -0300

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009, kionez wrote:
> > This is weird, and I cannot reproduce it.  Please test with
> > /proc/acpi/ibm/beep...
>
> I try with a:
>
> # for i in `seq 0 17` ; do echo $i > /proc/acpi/ibm/beep; sleep 1  ;done
>

> but I can't hear no beep from my speaker...
>
> I can hear a "acute" default beep  (i.e. when i press tab for
> autocomplention) only if I enable CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP in my kernel
> config.. otherwise I can't hear any sound.
> (PS: every other sound-related task works fine.. only beeps are missing)

First, please try to get the "beeps" from the internal speakers (not from
the microphone, not from line-out).

Second, maybe you need to mess with the HDA mixer to enable the beeps :(  I
wouldn't know how to help you in _that_.

Third, does anyone else have "silent beeps" problem with thinkpad-acpi and
Lenovo laptops?  That would help us stablish if it is a config issue (e.g.
on the mixer) on your laptop or BIOS, or a problem that hits all models...

Anyway, please send me by private email the output of dmidecode (remove any
UUIDs and serial numbers) and of acpidump.  I will check if the ACPI tables
make use of BEEP or not...  it is always possible that Lenovo is phasing
that out...

  Henrique Holschuh