[ltp] What are people using for Dock/Undocking scripts for their X60/61's?

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Jul 2009 12:38:43 -0400

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 11:55:08AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Heh, hotunplug of device trees done properly has NOT been around a long time
> in Linux :-(  Just like resume from suspend to disk done properly still
> doesn't exist (init the ACPI firmware twice?  No wonder it croaks on so many
> systems...)
>
> It should work with a very NEW kernel (certainly no older than 2.6.27) if
> userspace doesn't screw up.  Basically, you need to umount any storage that
> is in the dock and inside devices in the dock, then tell the notebook to
> eject the dock writing "1" to the correct node in
> /sys/bus/platform/devices/dock.*/undock

This mostly works for me (if you're using LVM you need you use
vgchange -an to tell LVM to let go of the physical device; it's not
enough to unmount any filesystems stored on the Ultrabay device);
however after docking or undocking, suspend-to-ram is broken.  The
laptop will suspend, but upon resume it will hang and not come back to
life.

Annoying, and since the failure is on the resume side, it's darned
hard to debug.

						- Ted