[ltp] Battery draining ove 16W cause battery death in 1 or 2 month

wbonx linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 11 Jul 2009 11:38:48 +0200

--001636c5bb131ee3b8046e6adb5b

HI,
I'm using an X41T since 2 years, one year with windows and one using Ubuntu.
When I was using windows the life of the extended battery was of about 5/6
hours (without wireless), after some time I have installed linux, one month
of usage under linux and the system advices me of the degraded battery
condition. So under windows the battery was reduced to 2 and a half hous and
under linux 1 and an half (at the start it was 3 hours).

So I bought a new battery, the normal (small not extended), at the start
under windows the life was about 2.45h and under linux 1.15h.
After one month of usage only under linux the life was degraded, under
windws  1.15h and under linux 40minutes.

I tried to use the TP_smapi modules on the new battery to prevent damages to
battery customizing the charge, but no way, now is almost unusable.

Now is one year that I'm triyng to solve the problem, I love the X41T and I
will buy a new battery but I don't want to trash my money again.

I have seen looking under : /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/power_now that
often under linux is drined more then 16-18W, with peaks of 20-21W (using
the battery not charging).
The battery is designed to give no more then 14W, is it possible that the
problem under linux is that there are not IBM drivers that manage the power
drain preventing it to excheed the 14W limit of the battery?

I know the tipical advices on how to mantain a battery, the point is that
for sure the battery are died cause of a wrong power managing under linux,
but actually I don't know what to do to solve the problem.

Thank you in advance.
wbonx

--001636c5bb131ee3b8046e6adb5b

HI,<br>I&#39;m using an X41T since 2 years, one year with windows and one u=
sing Ubuntu.<br>When
I was using windows the life of the extended battery was of about 5/6
hours (without wireless), after some time I have installed linux, one
month of usage under linux and the system advices me of the degraded
battery condition. So under windows the battery was reduced to 2 and a
half hous and under linux 1 and an half (at the start it was 3 hours).<br>
start under windows the life was about 2.45h and under linux 1.15h.<br>Afte=
r one month of usage only under linux the life was degraded, under windws=
=A0 1.15h and under linux 40minutes.<br>
damages to battery customizing the charge, but no way, now is almost
unusable.<br><br>Now is one year that I&#39;m triyng to solve the problem,
I love the X41T and I will buy a new battery but I don&#39;t want to trash
my money again.<br>
 class=3D"ii gt">BAT0/power_now that often under linux is drined more then =
16-18W, with peaks of 20-21W (using the battery not charging).<br>The
battery is designed to give no more then 14W, is it possible that the
problem under linux is that there are not IBM drivers that manage the
power drain preventing it to excheed the 14W limit of the battery?<br>
is that for sure the battery are died cause of a wrong power managing
under linux, but actually I don&#39;t know what to do to solve the problem.=

--001636c5bb131ee3b8046e6adb5b--