[ltp] Battery draining ove 16W cause battery death in 1 or 2 month

Ted Frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:38:46 +0100

wbonx wrote:
> HI,
> I'm using an X41T since 2 years, one year with windows and one using
> Ubuntu.
> When I was using windows the life of the extended battery was of about
> 5/6 hours (without wireless), after some time I have installed linux,
> one month of usage under linux and the system advices me of the
> degraded battery condition. So under windows the battery was reduced
> to 2 and a half hous and under linux 1 and an half (at the start it
> was 3 hours).
>
> So I bought a new battery, the normal (small not extended), at the
> start under windows the life was about 2.45h and under linux 1.15h.
> After one month of usage only under linux the life was degraded, under
> windws  1.15h and under linux 40minutes.
>
> I tried to use the TP_smapi modules on the new battery to prevent
> damages to battery customizing the charge, but no way, now is almost
> unusable.
>
> Now is one year that I'm triyng to solve the problem, I love the X41T
> and I will buy a new battery but I don't want to trash my money again.
>
> I have seen looking under : /sys/devices/platform/smapi/
> BAT0/power_now that often under linux is drined more then 16-18W, with
> peaks of 20-21W (using the battery not charging).
> The battery is designed to give no more then 14W, is it possible that
> the problem under linux is that there are not IBM drivers that manage
> the power drain preventing it to excheed the 14W limit of the battery?
>
> I know the tipical advices on how to mantain a battery, the point is
> that for sure the battery are died cause of a wrong power managing
> under linux, but actually I don't know what to do to solve the problem.
>
> Thank you in advance.

> You  need to tell us wether you bought a genuine IBM/Lenovo? from Lenovo?

> Or an after market one ,say from Ebay made in where ever?
If the former then the usage should be the right amount of time for its
type.
 If an aftermarket one then they are a lot cheaper and a lot less long
lasting on runtime.