[ltp] Recommendation for new disk drive

Chris Penn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:01:20 -0500

How bout  a Intel X25-E Extreme SATA Solid-State Drive 160gb.  Twice
the speed and half the power of a 7200rpm drive.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Michael Gaber<Michael.Gaber@gmx.net> wrote=
:
> Am 17.07.2009 16:24, schrieb Joerg Bruehe:
>>
>> Michael,
>>

>> thanks for your reply:
>>
>> Michael Gaber wrote:

>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> my experience says: go for a hitachi 7200 rpm drive
>>
>> 1) Doesn't 7200 rpm mean a higher power consumption?
>> =A0 =A0It is rare that I need a long battery time, but I felt that less
>> power usage is always good (less heat, ...).
>>
>> Hitachi lists 1.8 (0.8) W for the 5400 rpm disk in RW (idle) mode
>> versus 2.0 (1.8) W for the 7200 rpm disks ("enhanced availability" or
>> "standard").
>> Samsung gives 2.0 (0.6) W, Western Digital 2.5 (0.85) W, and Seagate 2.0
>> (0.8) W for their 5400 rpm drives,
>> so it seems quite consistent that the 5400 rpm drives consume less power
>> most of the time (idle) than the 7200 rpm ones.
>>
>> Of course, 7200 rpm has lower latency (4.2 ms) than 5400 rpm (5.5 ms),
>> I still need to make up my mind how important that is for me.
>>

>> 2) Do you recommend it because you have good experiences with Hitachi,
>> =A0 =A0or do you also have less good ones with other manufacturers?
>
> well, i had a samsung replaced 3!!! times because of reallocated sectors =
in
> the warranty period and a 2 seagates dieing propably because of start/sto=
> count which didn't happen with the hitachi in my old R50p or the one in m=
> new T60
>>

>> Thanks,
>> J=F6rg

--=20
"As we open our newspapers or watch our television screens, we seem to
be continually assaulted by the fruits of Mankind's stupidity."
 -Roger Penrose