[ltp] Recommendation for new disk drive

Yves-Alexis Perez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 18 Jul 2009 06:12:27 +0200

--=-ihCd8lXHqLmUCAYjweK0

On ven, 2009-07-17 at 18:23 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> OK, I have never done this. I am one of the people who leave the
> computer running 24/7 in its docking station on the table. It is a T61
> with Hitachi HTS 54161. The computer is currently over two years old
> and I see no symptoms of hard disk meltdown. Nevertheless, I guess I
> should heed the warning.
>=20
> The problem is that I do not want to bother shutting down and
> restarting the computer. And hibernation with Jaunty x86_64 is
> hopeless. Is there a command or some tool that I can use to stop the
> spindle without shutting down the OS?=20

I'm in the same case (with the same laptop). Is the hard drive powered
down when putting the laptop to sleep (suspend to ram)? I don't do that
very often, but I guess it'd be possible to do it once in 48h :) Or is
there a power-management mode where the disk will park when idle? (or
maybe the way to go is to drop it once every while so the integrated
accelerometer parks the disk ? *grins* :) )

Cheers,

--=20
Yves-Alexis

--=-ihCd8lXHqLmUCAYjweK0