[ltp] 570 2.6.30 ACPI related kernel panic

Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:43:11 -0300

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, Simon Williams wrote:
> I run Arch Linux on a ThinkPad 570. A few weeks ago I tried upgrading
> from kernel 2.6.29.[something] to 2.6.30, but had to revert because of
> kernel panics on boot. Today I tried 2.6.31, but found that the problem
> remains. I've done a bit more digging, and found that it works fine if I
> add acpi=off to the kernel boot options. Even with all the ACPI modules
> blacklisted, if I allow acpi to be on, it kernel panics every time.

I very much doubt the ACPI subsytem is regularly tested against such an
ancient deployment as the 570, so the bug could be anywhere.

> Happens 1 second after starting Loading UDev uevents, after Loading
> standard ACPI modules:
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: stack-protector: Kernel stack is corrupted
> in: c8cfefd8

Compile the kernel with stack pointers and debug information, and send me
the full log showing the problem and full trace, please.  You may need to
either take a photo shot of the screen, or preferably, use a serial console
to capture the output.

>     thinkpad-acpi: simplify module autoloading

That shouldn't change anything for the 570, the driver will still autoload
on it, just like it used to before the change.  I left the bios ID of the
570 in there since it doesn't have HKEY.

OTOH, thinkpad-acpi has *no* regular testing on HKEY-less systems like the
570, so that could well be a bug in thinkpad-acpi.  Compile a kernel WITHOUT
thinkpad-acpi, and see if it boots...

  Henrique Holschuh