[ltp] Re: gentoo

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:28:16 +1000

Michael Gaber <Michael.Gaber@gmx.net> writes:

[...]

> to the generic vs custom kernel issue i only have to add, that i like the
> short 'modprobe -l' output when you look for a specific module

*nod*  That is certainly an advantage of built-in drivers.

> and honestly: compiling a new module on a current notebook is a thing of
> minutes when you add some new hardware, that isn't supported by your current
> kernel.

Ah.  When I talked about this I meant the situation where you pulled the hard
disk from the current machine (or copied the content) and shoved it into an
arbitrary other machine, like I did with my A31p to T61p upgrade. :)

> I know that these optimisations don't give much, but the thing that you are
> able to custom-tune the features of your system is quite nice.

Absolutely.  There have been two or three times in the last ten years that a
Gentoo like "select compilation features" option would have been helpful to
me — the Debian dspam package being one example where only compile-time
configuration was possible.

So, again, my comments are restricted only to the *optimization* efforts, not
to the general flexibility in compilation options.

> I remember that i tried out fluxbuntu and the buntus X-server missed the
> SHAPE extension, so fluxbox couldn't display rounded cornes, which drove me
> back to my gentoo quite fast.

O_o  How strange.  It should have been there.  Maybe Ubuntu broke something in
that version of the X server or something. :)

Regards,
        Daniel

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707