[ltp] USB problems with T23 and ThinkPad Dock (Model 2631) - even after fresh install

John Shane linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Jul 2009 13:00:21 +0200

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 23:45:20 +0200
John Shane <jslists@mtwafrica.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 11:46:07 -0500
> Rob Smith <r.a.smith3530@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Did you build the machine while it was in the dock? I installed
> > Intrepid on my ThinkPad X40 while in its X4 Ultrabase, and I'm
> > having no problem with any of the USB ports, either in the base, or
> > on the machine itself.
> >
> > --
> > Rob Smith
>
> Thanks for the response Rob.  I bought the dock after I had the
> laptop up and running, so no I hadn't installed Linux while it was in
> the dock. I'll try that with my next fresh install though and see if
> it makes a difference.  John

Just did a fresh install of Xubuntu 9.04 while the T23 was docked.
Same story.  After a complete shutdown and boot the USB PCI card in the
dock works but not the two USB 1 ports built-in the back of the dock. If
I remove the T23 from the dock and then dock it again the USB 2 ports on
the PCI card stop working and the two built-in ports start to work.

Could it be something in a script linked to docking/undocking? Anyone
have an idea of what I should look for?  Also, what should I add to the
script to safely mount/umount the second hard drive in the dock's
ultrabay slot?

Thanks, John