[ltp] Re: How to determine which sensors lm-sensors is seeing???

Shannon McMackin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:07:56 -0400

Daniel Castro wrote:

> 2009/7/30 Shannon McMackin <smcmackin@gmail.com
> <mailto:smcmackin@gmail.com>>
>
>     lm-sensors generates some very generic labels.  How can one
>     determine which sensors are being detected?
>
> it depends on your thinkpad model....
> have a look at: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Thermal_Sensors
>

>     I'm using the sensors-applet for gnome and the ibm_acpi sensors are
>     more detailed, but the GPU is reading a false number of -128C.  I'm
>     assuming lm-sensors is finding the actual reading of the GPU, but I
>     can't tell which one is which...
>
> -128 means no sensor
>
> the thinkpad i am at now for example (T61) shows -128 (no sensor) for
> GPU also... it's got an intel integrated video card so i guess it has no
> sensor...
>

>     --
>

> --
> ________________________
>
> Daniel Castro, M.Sc.
> +353 083-318-2058
> dancasmo@gmail.com <mailto:dancasmo@gmail.com>
> castromd@tcd.ie <mailto:castromd@tcd.ie>
> ________________________
I did and saw the list you generated for the T61 which is what I have.
I'm wondering if one of those other 3 unknown devices might be the GPU.
  I suppose the GPU might not have a sensor and that I could rely on the
main temp as an indicator.

I was having some overheating issues on this T61 running Karmic Alpha 3
thanks to a Metacity bug causing CPU pegging.  I was hoping to monitor
the GPU directly because over time I would experience some video
degradation with the CPU pegged.

Switching to Emerald stopped the CPU condition and temps have been
nominal, though I might still call in to get a new fan...